Monday, July 22, 2013

Milho Sorvete (Corn Ice Cream)

I think I've seen about everything when I....then I ate corn Ice Cream in Brasil. I couldn't pass it up. It was kind of gross, just for the record.

Sister Castro, what is black coconut?
I don't know, coconut com pecados... (coconut with sins)
Oh, ok, guess I wont try that flavor then. 

Dear Mom and Dad, 
     The end of my first transfer in Brasil! What is this nonsense? I have no idea if I'll be staying in this area or moving, I guess its all part of the adventure.
      I had my first baptism this week. A young man named Florisvaldo. He thinks he is 23, but he told us his birthday...he's actually 22. Tudo bem. It was really special. This kid has a testimony  that is just so amazing, he really has sincere desires to follow the Savior. His baptismal service was Sunday at 8 am, before church, and he was confirmed that day. The Spirit was really strong. Its moments like these where you know you are so blessed to serve.
       Our branch celebrated Festa Julina this week too. I was really confused in New York when the Spanish ward started all their activities an hour later than they said they were going to, in Brasil its 2 hours later. The party was supposed to start at 6 and we said the opening prayer shortly after 8. The food was amazing! Lots of cakes, hot dogs wrapped in rolls (a sort of description), peanut butter bars, popcorn...lots of food. And, for good friend Alex Grambow, lots of accordion music. All the music was accordion music, its was pretty awesome. People dressed up as Portuguese cowboys too, at least that what I understood. We had 6 investigators come, which was the highlight of the evening, as well as a few less-active members we have been working with. It was a blast.
      I had a great week with my companion. We have really been able to overcome a lot of our differences and are working together just great. Its amazing how much two people can grow in 5 weeks. I am really grateful for her. I tried to make her German pancaked this morning. I accidentally added too much flour and the oven was in Celsius, but we figured it out. The oven reads up to 290 degrees Celsius, 204 Celsius is 400 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't know why our oven goes that hot. They didn't turn out how I wanted, I'm going to try again later this week. But, she liked them so all was good. We put sweetened condensed milk (the universal sweetener here) and shredded coconut on them...they were pretty delicious. 
      Congratulations to Andrew Garrett on his call to Germany! And any others that have recently received theirs; Congrats to Marcus Olsen for entering the MTC too and good luck down under. I'm glad you had a great time at Camp Richie, I liked it there a lot. Especially the lake. I kind of wish I had been able to try the stand up paddle boards, they sound like a lot of fun.
      Dad, your letters are not to long, they are just great. I especially like hearing about your lessons from camp. The cup game is pretty hard to learn, but once you figure it out, its a blast.
      I love you both, thanks for writing me every week. And for praying for me too! Keep up the good work. Hello to my siblings too.

Yours truly, 
Sister Hoggan

No comments:

Post a Comment