Monday, July 29, 2013

I know that Joseph Smith was called to be a prophet of God.

Dear Mom and Dad,
     Greetings from Brazil! We had transfers this week and...I'm staying in Penamy as companions with Sister Castro. I wasn't too surprised to find that out. I'm not really sure why, but the elder who was supposed to tell us all about transfers called on Thursday to tell us that he wasn't going to tell anybody about transfers until Saturday, just hours before they happen. I'm not sure if that was his idea or not, but we all waited anxiously to find out. All of the sisters here are now training new missionaries, and we have about 14 new sisters coming in next transfer so there`s a possibility I`ll be training....
     A big high five and congratulations to Papa Guy for finishing the Tin Man Triathlon like a stud. My grandpapa is pretty much the bomb, just saying.
     We`ve been teaching a girl about 14 years old that for some reason always seem to be embarrassed to answer our questions. (Oh, the words for embarrassment and shame are the same...um, I don't think they are quite the same thing, especially when you are joking with your friends and say some embarrassing). She is willing to pray, but always appears to be embarrassed. I tried to explain to her that embarrassment to talk to the missionaries is one thing, but more importantly, embarrassment to pray is a tool that Satan uses to keep us from communicating with our Father in Heaven. I think she got the point, I hope she starts feeling more confident. Being 14 is hard enough. We don't need to be 14 and feel like we can't talk to God; imagine how much that would stink.
      We`ve actually been teaching people who really struggle to pray. There aren't very many specific things to say in a prayer, you just address God, say what you want, and close in the name of Christ. If you have a hard time talking to God, you can tell him that. You can say pretty much anything you want and he will listen. He is that great. He really does want to hear from us every day, and I am trying really hard to help people understand that.
      I tried to make German pancakes for the 2nd time for my companion (using the temperature our phone says is the equivalence of what I think the oven should be at....) It didn't work again, so I decided to crank up the oven to way hotter than it should have been. And it worked! Yay! I think our oven might just have a difficult time retaining heat.
      I'm glad work is going great Mom. And Dad, thanks for more of your lessons from camp, I really enjoy reading them. Congratulations also to Elder Chandler on his call to the Idaho Twin Falls Mission. I remember when he put in his papers...he was so stoked at the prospect of serving a mission.
      Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me if Jordan Clark and Alec Judd have returned from their missions yet? I don't remember when they were supposed to come home.
     Any whooo, thank for your letters and prayers. And the comic strip about my fear of spiders (pretty much every spider is big, Dad; just because you can`t see it doesn't mean it can`t see you. tee hee hee.) Have a great week.
Com muito amor,
Sister Hoggan

No comments:

Post a Comment